Thursday, October 22, 2009

Don't Eat the Cake

Everyone is always talking about how "You can't have your cake and eat it, too." I agree that there is a point to be made, but the phrase is incorrect.

I myself misuse the phrase because it's easier than saying it in the correct way and then having to explain. Explain, however, I will.

The correct phrase is "You can't eat your cake and have it, too." This phrase originated in the days where cake was a hot commodity, as the ingredients one needed to make a cake were scarce and expensive. If, therefore, one were lucky enough to get a cake, then having the cake and being able to show it off to guests was, like, the best thing EVER. Sadly, if one could not resist the urge to eat the cake (and who could? It IS cake, after all), then one had to relinquish the pleasure of flaunting said cake in front of jealous neighbors and saying, "Look at me! I have a cake," because you can't eat your cake and have it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment