When one communes verbally with another (I know that "commune," in this sense, is obsolete. I just like it), the event is properly referred to as “conversation.” There is a common mistake (which I shall discuss, perhaps at great length, unless I can practice restraint) that we make, probably due to the fact that many other nouns which end in “t-i-o-n” are broken down differently.
“Elevation” in its verb form is “[to] elevate.” The verb form of “irritation” is “[to] irritate.”
This is the reason why active learning is so important. Much to my ir•ri•ta•tion, many of us, when referring to the act of talking with another person, say “conversate” rather than “converse.”
This is the thing: One should not trust one’s own powers of deductive reasoning when it comes to grammar. If one hasn’t learned the rule, then one has the responsibility to look it up. Ask someone. Phone a friend.
The appropriate verb is "converse."
That is all. Converse amongst yourselves. (Just don't use the words "interpretate" or "cohabitate." They're wrong, too.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment