Don’t even get me started. I could rant for an hour about this topic, but I’m going to keep it simple and clear. Clarity is desirable. Rather than boring you with a long discussion about the nominative, objective, possessive and reflexive cases, I will illustrate this lesson with a series of examples.
EXAMPLE 1
Correct: “This ice cream is for you.”
Correct: “This ice cream is for me.”
If we put the above together, then the resulting sentence should match the *correct* originals: “This ice cream is for you and me.”
Do NOT say, “This ice cream is for you and I.”
EXAMPLE 2
Correct: “You and I should go to the store.”
We can test the correctness of this sentence by separating it into two sentences:
“You should go to the store.”
“I should go to the store.”
Do NOT say, “You and me should go to the store.”
EXAMPLE 3
A) “You are smarter than me.” FAIL.
B) “You are smarter than I.” [Ding-ding-ding!]
Sometimes we omit parts of sentences, and this is okay. The important thing is that we know *what* is missing so that we can correctly deal with what’s left. In the example sentence, there is a verb missing: “Am.” If we add it, then the second example is correct: “You are smarter than I am.”
Thinking about the sentence “You are smarter than me am” makes me want to swallow a fork.
Sometimes I get bored with a topic of conversation before the conversation is over. I was going to list examples dealing with use of “myself,” but I've lost interest. Now I'm thinking about muffins.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

you are so funny. Please dont hate me cuz I so enjoyed my english classes and I enjoy writing but I am not a grammer queen for sure. and to top it off i hate capitalization hahaha! :-)
ReplyDeletehowever because i must do better I am going to follow your blog in hopes of gaining better insight into what i'm doing wrong and what i need to correct. lol
and dont hold my blog against me. i'm still a good girl.