Thursday, April 9, 2009

We Wear the Cap.

The dunce cap, that is. I, too, am guilty. “Fur” is defined by Merriam-Webster as:

1: a piece of the dressed pelt of an animal used to make, trim, or line wearing apparel
2: an article of clothing made of or with fur
3: the hairy coat of a mammal especially when fine, soft, and thick; also: such a coat with the skin
4: a coating resembling fur: as a: a coat of epithelial debris on the tongue b: the thick pile of a fabric (as chenille)

“For,” on the other hand, indicates purpose. That’s only part of the definition, but I have something to say and I’d like to get on with it.

In the words of the great Willy Wonka: “You should open your mouth a little wider when you speak.” “Fur” and “for” are different words. My suggestion is that we endeavor to pronounce them differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment