QUESTION:
Hey Pearl,
Can you please advise on the usage of "whether" and "rather."
L.W.
ANSWER:
“Whether” is a word that indicates alternatives. Use it when referring to more than one choice/action/situation.
Here are some examples:
“You need to decide whether you will wear the red dress or the green dress.” (Using the word “whether” indicates that there are two options.)
“You need to decide whether you will attend the party.” (The other option is not attending the party. One could say, “You need to decide whether or not you will attend the party,” but it’s already understood.)
The word “if,” on the other hand (sometimes used interchangeably with “whether”), should be used to indicate a condition – just one condition.
“Call me if you decide to go to the party.” (Call me on that condition – if you decide to go.)
“Rather” is a word that indicates a degree of preference. “I would rather have pecan pie than chess pie.” This does NOT mean than I don’t like chess pie. I like both pies. I just prefer pecan pie. Oh—the other thing is that “rather” is often confused with “instead [of],” but they aren’t the same. “Instead [of]” means “in place of.” Additionally, they don’t need to be used at the same time.
“Give me apple pie instead of cherry pie.” (I don’t want cherry pie at all. I want apple pie.)
The sentence doesn’t need to say, “I would rather have apple pie instead of cherry pie.” (This is muddled. There are too many words in that sentence. People stop listening when one uses too many words. Trust me. I know.)
I want pie.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Very Nice. Thanks! I shall refer back to this post every time I write a paper or report. :-)
ReplyDelete